Saturday 19 September 2015

Cotton Reels pattern: Creating texture with embroidery stitches

The idea of creating texture using various embroidery stitches had been on my mind for a while and I was just waiting for the right design idea to pop into my head, when I realised it had been staring me in the face the whole time. There’s a bowl of vintage wooden spools of sewing cotton on the bookshelf next to my desk, which I’ve picked up in various charity shops and thrift stores over time.


They’re perfect for holding textured “thread” and small enough to do multiple versions in a single design. I love the reels worked in a grid pattern – you could repeat the grid to experiment with even more thread texture – but you could also rearrange them to create a border or use one as a single motif with your favourite stitch.


If you're keen to try your hand at creating texture, this pattern is a good starting point. It's available as an instant download on Etsy and Craftsy.

6 comments:

Raman Raman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia Robert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yanmaneee said...

curry 7 shoes
nike lebron 16
off white hoodie
nike sb
off white shoes
kyrie 5 spongebob
jordan sneakers
off white
yeezy boost 700
jordan shoes

shitee said...

z1q85z3v61 s1p91u4y53 b0h21o1o33 h9p05e3n80 h7u20u8q10 i2g13h5v08

Julia Robert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia Robert said...

I like texture work and also love to create textures in embroidery digitizing. Love your cotton reels pattern. its nice. Thank you.