Saturday 4 July 2009

Frugal fatigue

My sister recently used the phrase “frugal fatigue”, the latest linguistic spin-off of the economic meltdown. People are, understandably, tired of scrimping and budgeting and worrying about money and well, not spending. And it was only a matter of time before someone came up with a name for it.

I recently spent some time (and money) at Creative Quilting in Hampton Court. And I have to admit that running my fingers through drawers of possibility after about 18 months of fabric hibernation was immensely pleasurable. I was after six fat quarters and determined to stick to my quota when I stepped through the shop doorway. I walked out with my six fat quarters. Plus four Japanese prints for which I have no specific purpose in mind. And two more pieces for my mom – gifts don’t count.


Seeing the latest additions to my fabric stash hanging up to dry made me realise how good it feels to have new supplies. It also gave me some first-hand insight into frugal fatigue. I think everyone should just spend like mad during July to avoid the feeling and, if that doesn’t kick-start the economy, at least we’ll all have lots of new fabric to see us through.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back to the land of the living, sure missed you while you were hibernating, grin.

Unknown said...

Strangely enough, here I am again, I normally do not leave comments, grin, HOWEVER I just got issue 62 of Inspirations and guess who I found had an article in it?????
Congratulations!!!!!
Reading the article I also found you have a website, mind sharing it with your readers of your blog?

Karen said...

love the idea of us all buying fabric to kick start the economy. Now that's one I could use on my husband!

Unknown said...

Small world, I used to walk past that every day a few years back on my way to the RSN, it's a dangerous place to walk into....I never came out of there without buying something.

Kelly Fletcher said...

Hi Barbara. Thanks. The eds of Inspirations used the word "website" in place of "blog", I'm afraid. So this is in fact it. Feels a bit odd leaving a comment for you on my blog, but I can't seem to link back to yours...

Unknown said...

Mercy me I think I am on a roll, grin. Kelly don't have a blog, I just blog all the blogs, grin. A friend told me about yours knowing I love Jacobean work, so I am collecting your leaves with plans on doing them on a new bag I am designing for me.

Kelly Fletcher said...

Hi Barbara. That sounds like a good use for them. I plan to have the last two done and posted soon! Please let me know when you're done, I'd love to see the finished bag.

Cele said...

Oh how beautiful is that leaf pattern fabric :)

Elizabeth Braun said...

I understand what you mean, only for me, it's less having to save and more that we're saving up for something - an international move/period abroad, so I have an exciting reason for not stash-building. In fact, I've even been selling and there is quite some satisfaction in off-loading your SINS and getting stash money for later (I've been researching where I can get stash locally in my new location!!!)
BW, E=)